Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pollination and The Big Easy!

My kids had such a blast pollinating their flowers yesterday!  I have some pictures of the pollination, a short video clip if I can figure out how to put it up, and some writing that showed they really are understanding what we're learning.  This unit is a lot of extra work and expense for me, but it's so worth it when I see the students learning and having fun in the process!

Here's a close-up of a kid pollinating a flower.
A student's description of how to pollinate flowers.
We need bees to get the pollen because if the bees don't, the flower won't make a seed.  But the easiest thing is to get a Qtip and get a dead bee and glue and get a plate and dump the glue in the plate and dump the qtip into the plate and stick the qtip into the bee and when the plant has flowers you stick the bee into the flower and that's the easiest way.

Here's another student's take on why we pollinated our flowers.
We pollinated our flowers with beesticks.  We had to pollinate our flowers because we need the flowers to make new sees for next year's class.  So they can do this too.

And here's a short video clip.  You can hear some of the kids buzzing like bees as they moved from flower to flower.  


Finally, I am on my way to the Plain Talk About Reading conference in New Orleans.  I hope to learn some new approaches to teaching my kids to read, write and spell.  I hope they behave for the sub while I'm gone.

That's it for now.
Joell

1 comment:

I love comments...they make me feel like I'm not talking to myself.