Monday, December 31, 2012

Refreshed and Ready

Hi all,

It has been such a wonderful break.  I didn't get much done, but I really needed a mental and physical rest.  Now I'm feeling ready to go back and face it all again.  Of course, that will probably last until about 10:00 on Wednesday when we go back.  Hehehe!

I'm going to be starting a unit on weather soon.  I want to approach it differently this time around, so it should be interesting to see how it goes.  I'm going to start with the question:  What makes the weather?  I plan on having my students keep weather journals which will include a graph of various types of weather.  Along with this, we will also hit a little bit about the sun/earth/moon dynamic and also explore the seasons.  So much to teach, so little time!

We're starting into place value in math.  This will be my first place value unit using the common core standards.  My big goal isn't just place value, but my students will also gain number sense, which to me is a much more complex thing to teach than just simple place value.

We've been focusing on long vowels in reading, so we'll continue with that.  We've done the silent e pattern, and now we'll start to hit the vowel pairs.

The lovely Dibels mid-year assessment starts a week from today.  I sure hope the 3 days we have back in school is enough for them to get back into the swing of reading, because I'm guessing some of my students didn't read much over the break...naturally, the ones who didn't read are the very ones who need to the most.

I found this fun little snowman project that I might try out.  It's on my pinterest January board.
And that's enough rambling for now!  Happy New Year!
Joell

1 comment:

  1. That snowman project is adorable! I totally need to make time for it this month! Couldn't agree with you more on needing a mental/physical break this past week...hoping I survive my first day back too!

    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...they make me feel like I'm not talking to myself.