Friday, April 19, 2013

Positive Reinforcement and Plants

Positive Reinforcement

It's the time of year where everyone is antsy.  It's the time of the year when the same old positives don't work so well.  So, it's the time in my class that the carnival comes to town.  Yes, the carnival!  

I use class dojo in my room to track behavior.  But the usual rewards for positives just don't seem to work by this time of year.  So, I have combined class dojo with my carnival games.  We're starting out with a target toss.  Every five dojo points, or when I give out a "target ticket" students get to throw a ball at the target.  If they hit the bulls eye, they get a prize from the prize box.  They love having the chance to just shoot at the target.

The balls have velcro attached and stick to the white, black and red parts of the target.


I also have some circus games I purchased from oriental trading that I'll use once this no longer works.  

Plants

When you find something as great as the Brassica Rapa plant, you just have to keep using it.  So, this is my third year teaching my students the life cycle of a plant.  We planted our seeds on Monday.  I'm happy to say they started sprouting on Wednesday and by today they were all sprouted! 

Starting to sprout on Wednesday--two days after planting.

How our plants look under their lights.
I'll try to update you on the plants as we go.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed perusing your blog. I too am a Class Dojo fan and have been very successful using it. However I agree that the closer we get to the end of the year seems to be a little more difficult for them to stay on task and focused. Your velcro target idea is superb.

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...they make me feel like I'm not talking to myself.